Readers of this blog will be familiar with Douglas motorcycles – but Douglas cars?
Douglas’ first foray into four-wheeled transport was in 1913, with a light car with pressed steel chassis which sold for a hefty £160. WW1 brought an end to this project but production of a revised – and heavier – vehicle resumed in 1919 in Coventry. The new car was fitted with a liquid-cooled twin-cylinder engine of 1224cc and 10.5hp, and was available in three versions. It also came with a hefty price tag; at around £500 few were sold and production ended in 1922.
This beautiful 1921 Douglas Tourer is believed to be the sole remaining example of a Douglas car. It will be offered for sale at Bonham’s December auction, and will certainly be the crowning glory of any Douglas collection!